Columbia, also known as the Philip Haxall House, is a historic home located in Richmond, Virginia. It was built in 1817-1818, and is a two-story, three bay Federal style brick dwelling on a high basement. The entrance features an elliptical fanlight opening sheltered by a one-story Doric porch. It was added when the entrance was moved from the Lombardy Street side to the Grace Street side in 1924, when the building was expanded to house the T.C. Williams School of Law of the University of Richmond. It housed the School of Law from 1917 to 1954. After 1834, the house was the main academic building of Richmond College, which grew to become the present University of Richmond.
TheColumbia is one of the first breeds of sheep developed in the United States. The product of USDA and university research, it was intended to be an improved breed specially built for the Western ranges of the country (where the majority of sheep raising takes place). Beginning in 1912 in Laramie, Wyoming, Lincoln rams were crossed with Rambouillet ewes. In 1918, the foundation flock was moved to the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station near Dubois, Idaho, for further refinement. Today's Columbia is a popular breed, with heavy, white fleeces and good growth characteristics. It is one of the larger breeds, and is often used for cross breeding in commercial western flocks.
Adult rams weigh between 275 and 400lb (125 and 181kg), while females weigh between 175 and 300lb (79 and 136kg). An average fleece from an ewe weighs from 10 to 16lb (4.5 to 7.3kg) with a yield of 45 to 55%. The staple length of the wool ranges from 3.5 to 5in (8.9 to 12.7cm). The wool is classified as medium wool with a spin count of 50s to 60s. The wool varies from 31.0 to 24.0 microns.